Want one of your very own? Here’s the Mod Podge Witch Hat tutorial for you!
You will need:
- plain black witch hat
- Mod Podge
- plastic shopping bag (large or several small)
- paint brush or foam sponge
- hot glue
- black feather boa
- sheer black fabric (chiffon, nylon, etc.); 1/2 yard
- assorted decorations
1. Crumple up your plastic shopping bag(s) and stuff the inside of your hat.
2. Paint on a layer of Mod Podge to the hat portion (not the brim), shaping the hat as you go. Allow to dry.
3. Now paint on a second layer of Mod Podge, and add glitter. (***Note – you’ll want to do this over some newspaper or other covering. It gets messy!)
4. Once dry, shake off excess glitter.
5. Next, you’ll attach your fabric by running a bead of hot glue along the edge where the hat meets the brim and pressing down the fabric, being careful not to burn your fingers!
6. At this point, you can either fold the fabric under the brim and glue to the underside, or you can let it hang for a veil effect.
7. Using the same glue technique, add your feather boa along the seam where you glued your fabric. Trim excess.
8. Now it’s time to add your embellishments! I randomly hot glued some sparkly beads; then I added some of these critters, cause every witch hat needs some stretch rats, right?
9. I couldn’t find plain old spiders, so I used spider rings and simply cut off the ring portion, then glued on the spiders.
Love how this one’s about to crawl up my nose! *snort*!
10. Once you’ve embellished to your heart’s content… that’s it. Put your hat aside until it’s time to get your costume on! (And fyi, I will have pictures of my full costume ~ hat included ~ after Saturday’s Halloween bash!
Hope you’re able to use this tutorial to make yourself a fun new witch hat – Have a Spooktacular Halloween!!
Linking up here: