Monday, October 13, 2014
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Monday, October 6, 2014
I had a complete freak-out moment last weekend when I went to get my clothes out of the dryer and found this:
That would be an empty tube of lipstick… that made it through an entire cycle in the dryer with some of my favorite clothing! Noooooo! Once I regained my composure, I decided that trying to get this lipstick out of my clothes would be a cheaper alternative to replacing them all. Happily, I was able to get most of the lipstick out so I’m here to share the details with you in case you’re ever in my shoes.
Note: there are not before/after photos for this post. See aforementioned reference to freaking out.
Here’s what I did:
1. Apply liquid detergent to each (yes, each) lipstick stain. There will be a lot so prepare yourself for this to take a while. Rub in detergent to stain with a toothbrush or old towel.
2. Soak your clothing in the warmest water it can tolerate, either with a pre-soak option in your washer or in a sink/tub.
3. Follow this soak with a full wash cycle in the warmest water your clothing can tolerate.
4. Once your wash cycle is complete, inspect clothing for remaining stains. If stains persist, repeat soak and wash cycle. (I ran mine through three of these cycles and about 90% of the lipstick stains were gone.)
5. Before your dry your clothing, make sure you’ve cleaned your dryer of any remaining lipstick residue. If you don’t do this, you’re likely to end up right where you began.
I was quite ecstatic that I was able to get most of the lipstick out – it was everywhere, y’all. There were a few items of clothing that didn’t have a lot of success: a few camis and unmentionables made out of a stretch knit material. Since they go under my clothing, it was no big deal. My jeans survived, as did some of my favorite tops – whew. Mr. home.made. would not have been happy about me replacing all of that in one fell swoop.
I hope you’re better than me about checking pockets and you’re never in this situation, but just in case… try this out and see if it works for you before you throw everything out. Your husbands will thank me.
Happy Monday y’all!
Monday, September 29, 2014
- Acorn caps of varying sizes
- Felt balls of varying sizes
- Twine or Yarn
- Hot Glue
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Friday, September 12, 2014
Friday, August 1, 2014
My experimentation with using vinegar around the household continues this month. Last month, I showed you my results of using vinegar to remove hard water buildup. This month, I’m tackling a stinky sink drain.
My daughters went on a trip with my sister and her husband and during their absence, their bathroom started to smell of mildew. It took me a while to figure out the source, but it ended up being their sink drain. Turns out that my little girls shed quite a bit of hair and then apparently wash it down the drain… leading to a nice hair plug (see what I did there) that was mildewed. Ick. I removed the hair and cleaned the drain plug but it still reeked of mildew, so I put vinegar to the test again.
The first step was pouring baking soda down the drain and letting it sit for a bit.
Then, pour in your vinegar. This part is fun (remember those middle school science experiments with volcano “lava”?) – it bubbles like crazy!
This part would probably be fun for your kiddos to “help” with, although it doesn’t smell the best…
The final step is following the vinegar and baking soda with boiling water. I used a large mixing bowl (about six cups of water) that I heated to boiling in the microwave.
While you can’t smell the results for yourself, this method did work on my stinky drain! I had to repeat the process once to remove the smell completely, but haven’t had to bother with it since. I’ve also started using this same method to clean my sink disposal in my kitchen – I follow it with running a lemon slice through the disposal and it smells amazing.
So two vinegar experiments down and so far it’s proving to be quite the useful, eco-friendly, and inexpensive household helper. I can’t wait to share the next vinegar experiment. I’m already doing it and loving the results… stay tuned!