Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Of Wine and Women

I was so blessed this weekend to spend Sunday with some wonderful gals.  One of my high school friends won a wine-tasting session at an auction and invited me and six others to join her, and it was such a good time.

We first met up for a fantastic lunch at the Gristmill, where we enjoyed sitting outside in the first taste of fall weather we've had this year.   We shared monstrous onion rings as we made cracks about the name of a particular dessert that will remain our secret, but happens to rhyme with Mudge High.  *heehee*


 
(That's me in the middle, looking quite squinty-eyed!)

Then it was wine-time and we headed to Dry Comal Creek Winery.  We giggled our way through nine different wines as we swirled our glasses to capture "the full aroma of the bouquet", which wasn't always a pleasant aroma.  Being the normal chicks we are and not being wine connosieurs, it was fun to taste the wine and not take it so seriously.  And seriously, some of the wine just wasn't very good *cough* Mongrel Bastardo *cough*.  I believe Tammy said it best:  Toilet water.  Pure toilet water!
Thankfully, they provided us some stronger flavors to help wash it down.


(A little cheese and sausage with your wine perhaps?)


The best part of today was simply this:

spending some quality time with a sisterhood; some old friends, some new friends, but all wonderful women.  One of the things I love about girlfriends is that, no matter how much time has passed, a conversation can pick up like no time has passed at all.  And one of the things I love about my girlfriends is that they know who I truly am... and love me anyway.

One of the things we talked about between sips is how sometimes the people you think are your friends are the first ones to do or say something to break your spirit.  That's something I just don't understand about the female gender - why is it that women are like this in relationships (cause trust me, men don't do the two-faced thing)?  What good does it do you to break someone's heart and stomp on their feelings?  Aren't we all in this together, and isn't it our duty to each other, as sisters, to support, and love, and lift up each other?  I know I feel this way - and I know that a person who knows what being a friend is would feel this way too.

For that special newfound friend, I give you one of my favorite quotes ever:

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss







1 comment:

  1. I see a few of my old classmates & friends! I saw Tara's pics on fb ~ how fun! Good girlfriends are a gift from God! Don't know what we'd do without them!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails