Friday, September 7, 2012

Chevron Wall Art Upcycle

When we moved into our home almost two years ago, the previous owners had left us an assortment of accessories… some good, some not so good.  This particular piece of wall art was one of them:

I’ll let you decide which of the aforementioned categories it falls under…

Yeah, not so good.  I mean, it’s not terrible, but I wasn’t going for the vineyard, bunch of grapes look for my outdoor space.  Of course, considering how long it’s taken me to redo said outdoor space, who knows what look I’m going for!

Rather than chunk it, I decided to upcycle the grape art into something a little more my style -

chevron aqua and orange sign

There… that’s better!

After a good cleaning and a coat of primer, I taped off a center chevron and painted it a bright orange color with some sample Valspar paint from Lowe’s.  I then removed my tape and realized I didn’t care for the white alternating stripes, so I painted those with some pearl gray craft paint.

After that… my wall art was starting to look like a road sign, so I added some antiquing glaze to soften the color contrast.  Then came the fun part… the message!

I thought about cutting out a vinyl image for the lettering, but thought it might not stick well to the textured canvas… bummer.  I dug around in my handy dandy craft closet and pulled out some chipboard letters.  Perfect.

I simply traced the chipboard letters and then hand-painted with some aqua paint left over from the Paint-Dipped Camp Stools.  Easy peasy, and the perfect message:

Life is good.

chevron orange and aqua art

orange and aqua chevron

It is indeed.

life is good

 

Sharing this here:

Show and Tell Saturday, I Heart Naptime, Positively Splendid, Wow Us Wednesdays, Tuesday’s Treasures, Transformation Thursday, Restored It Wednesday, The 36th Avenue

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh! I love this. I love the texture. Such a great idea. There are always old paintings at thrift stores and I've considered doing something similar.. now I will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better! I love the saying and the chevron looks great!! Wonderful job:)

    Karen@Pocket Full of Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out great...loving the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out adorable!! I'm your newest follower visiting from Savvy Southern Style's linky party!! Stop by and say hello :)

    -Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out amazing!! I love the colors and texture. You have some awesome painting skill my friend :) LOVE IT! I would be thrilled if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there and thanks so much for sharing! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-10/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love this, quite the chevron addict. Fantastic job with the lettering, I seriously would have thought they was screen printed they look so great.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails