Here it is… the tutorial for my OMTWI clay bunting necklace!
You Will Need:
- Air-dry clay
- Star cookie cutter, Rectangle cookie cutter (or knife)
- Jewelry findings (eye pins, chain, jump rings, toggle or other closure)
- Jewelry tools (wire cutter, pliers)
- Alphabet stamps
- Roll air dry clay onto nonstick surface (clay mat or wax paper). I roll mine between two wooden sticks so the thickness is even.
- Next, take your star cookie cutter and cut out a star (You’ll need to repeat if making more than five bunting pieces.) Use a straight edge of your rectangle cookie cutter or knife to cut the triangle tips away from the star.
- Now take your eye pin and cut with wire cutter so the pin is just long enough to meet the middle of your clay piece. Insert into side of clay, being careful not to poke through the front or back!
- Repeat this step for all of your pieces. Stamp your impression into clay pieces (don’t press too hard so as to not flatten out the clay). Allow to dry as per instructions (at least 24 hours).
- Now it’s time to work on your chain. Attach closure pieces to chain ends with a jump ring. Lay this on your neck to figure out where you want the bunting portion to lay on your chest. Trim chain links off as necessary.
- When clay pieces are dry, attach bunting pieces together with jump rings. Then attach end pieces to chain with jump rings (I used two per side for a little more give).
And that’s it! For extra customization, how about stamping your children’s initials, or maybe your wedding date, or how about a special number for a special birthday girl?
Me? I chose love… to celebrate the day devoted to the sentiment.
Hope you enjoy – now go make one today for your special valentine!
Linking up here: