Sunday, September 16, 2012

Simple Fall Wreath–Moss and Pumpkin

moss pumpkin wreath 1

A new wreath is typically how I begin changing up holiday/seasonal décor.  For some reason, it tends to be a great catalyst for getting me into full-on decorating mode.

I wanted to keep my fall wreath simple this year, an homage to the natural beauty of the season.  This wreath is simply a styrofoam wreath from covered in natural spanish moss and accented with white pumpkins and an open-weave burlap bow.

moss pumpkin wreath 2

In the making of this wreath, I discovered that moss is one decorative element that is not conducive to the use of hot glue – it was a sticky, stringy mess.  Luckily, I had some floral pins on hand that worked perfectly to secure the bunches of moss to the wreath form.  To conceal the pins, I placed a dab of hot glue over it and covered with a small bunch of moss.

moss closeup

Since real pumpkins aren’t yet readily available here, I substituted some faux pumpkins (bought for 40% off at Hobby Lobby).  I’d rather have real ones, but these are good stand-ins for now.

moss pumpkin wreath full copy

I found the burlap ribbon at Hobby Lobby as well and used my 40% off coupon – the ends are wired, which made for easy shaping of the ribbon.  (Helpful hint – in case you didn’t know, Hobby Lobby now has a mobile app.  You can open the coupon in-store for your discount!)

I hung my wreath lower than I usually do, so as to contrast the moss and white with the aqua color of my front door.  I sorta think I’m loving it.

Now I’m ready to spread the fall cheer around the rest of my home!

In what ways are you decorating for fall?

 

Linking up here:

I Heart Naptime, Positively Splendid, Craftaholics Anonymous, Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, A Diamond in the Stuff, Savvy Southern Style, Shabby Creek Cottage, Craftberry Bush, Tatertots and Jello, Be Different Act Normal, It’s Overflowing, The Vintage Farmhouse

14 comments:

  1. I love it...looks like I'm going to be copying you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, just love it. For some reason this season I am obsessed with white pumpkins and moss, cotton or muslin.

    Beautiful job.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I'm following you! I love the natural textures and colors of this wreath. You really did an amazing job on it. Thanks for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neutral fall decor is my absolute favourite. You have some beautiful textures going on in your wreath!
    xo,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, the colors and the simplicity are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I'm pinning this for a friend who is decorating in neutrals for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty!! I am happy dear Amy sent me your way to see it. Totally inspired by neutrals this year. And I love working with that messy, fun moss too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so so cute!! Just found you through Jennifer Rizzo, and am your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. THis is adorable and I will be making it this weekend. Thank you for sharing this. Would you mind sharing how you attached the faux pumpkins? Were they glued?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is too cute. Love it. I hope you will stop by and link up at my All Things Fall Party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2012/09/all-things-fall-and-folk-magazine.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty!! I love the muted colors!! I'm now following with GFC! Cheers ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Did you hot glue or pin the pumpkins?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails