Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pallet Board Back to School Countdown!


I shared this project last week over at Simply Klassic Home and now I’m posting it for you!  I have plans to make it work for other occasions too – will post those soon!


I’m not normally a “Back to School” decorator/crafter, but since both of my precious girls will  be in school this year, I thought it was only proper to celebrate the occasion!


back to school pallet sign


Here’s how to make your own:


You Will Need:



scrap pallet board (or other scrap wood)


leftover paint


chalk/chalkboard paint


antiquing medium (or stain)


decorative wood apple (I found mine at Hobby Lobby)


paint pen


hot glue


Instructions:



1.  Sand any rough areas on your board (to prevent yourself from getting splinters…) and paint with a thin coat of paint.  I used a watered-down mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White to create a “wash”.  Set aside to dry.

078

2.  Paint your apple wood piece with chalk/chalkboard paint.  I used ASCP in Aubusson Blue since I had it on hand.

079

080

3.  While this paint is drying, you can work on your pallet sign (if dried – that’s another great thing about chalk paint, btw.  The dry time is super quick.)  I chose to freehand my letters, but you can stencil or trace from a printed font if you like.

084

4.  Then, trace over with your paint marker.  Easy peasy.

085

5.  I then brushed on an antiquing glaze made from craft paints from Hobby Lobby, wiping it off with a rag afterward.

087

6.  Once all of the paint is dry, hot glue your chalkboard apple in place… and let the countdown begin!

pallet back to school sign

pallet school sign





Hope you enjoy the rest of summer while it lasts!


Sharing here:
Transformation Thursday

1 comment:

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails