Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Neutral Christmas Tree

I really love Christmas, and I really enjoy decorating our home each year, especially the trees.  The tree in our living room was gifted to me from my sister a few years ago, along with two boxes of lights and ornaments… pretty awesome, right?  I however, couldn’t help myself at the Hobby Lobby Black Friday sale and some new ornaments somehow found their way into my basket and the idea for this Neutral Christmas Tree was born.

Neutral Christmas Tree

I had the burlap ribbon in my stash (leftover from Halloween I believe) and decided to use it for a garland.  Burlap makes such a great garland because its open weave allows the light from the Christmas tree to filter through it; it’s so beautiful at night.  You can see that I just randomly twisted the burlap as I wrapped it around the tree.

neutral tree christmas

See how the light shines through the burlap?!  And while we’re on the subject of lights… I confess that I am spoiled with pre-lit trees and putting the lights on this thing was a miserable task, especially when half of a string of lights goes out just as you’re plugging in the next strand.

Argh.

I digress.

I know you’re all dying to know about this tree skirt, right?  You’re going to laugh because it’s one of my painting drop cloths arranged just so to look like a tree skirt.  I actually placed it under the tree as I was “fluffing” because the needles were falling everywhere but in the end I sorta liked it and decided to leave it there.  And let me tell you – this is a used dropcloth complete with paint and stain splatters… I contemplated going out and buying a new drop cloth to make a ruffled tree skirt a la Miss Mustard Seed, but to be honest I just don’t have the time for that right now.  I’m making do with this makeshift tree skirt instead!  The little splash of grey chevron is some leftover fabric from a bulletin board project; I just wrapped it around to cover the tree stand.

As for ornaments, I used what I had on hand other than the new white and pewter glass ornaments that inspired this tree in the first place.

neutral christmas ornament

I added some of my handmade clay tags and gingerbread men, as well as some chalkboard and glass glitter ornaments.

neutral christmas

I added some of my Embroidery Hoop Nativity Ornaments and a twinkling of crocheted stars.

Neutral Christmas ornaments

And next comes my favorite part… the Book Page Star tree topper.

Book Page Star Tree Topper

This is one of those ideas that was in my head and luckily worked out just as I had envisioned.  It’s perfect for this tree and perfect for me.  I may have had to catch my breath when I placed it on top – a beautiful ending to a day of decorating.

Book Page Tree topper

Not one to disappoint, I will be sharing all the deets soon on how to make one of these for yourself so stick around.  I should have the tutorial up within the week.

neutral burlap christmas tree

And one last shot… the leaning mirror by the tree is sort of a happy accident.  I didn’t feel like relocating it so it stayed and it just so happens to hide the cord and reflect the tree and lights into my living room.  Magic.

Are you decorating with color this year or are you sticking to neutrals like me?

Linking Here:

The Blissful Bee

Savvy Southern Style

Honey We’re Home

Inspire Me Please

Inspiration Gallery

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty tree and I love love the book page star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tree! I love the use of burlap + your star. I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers - and don't forget to enter my giveaway for a free chandelier! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-diyers-42.html

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails