Sunday, January 22, 2012

On Being a Martha... and my Word for the Year

Have you ever realized that when God wants you to listen to Him better, He keeps repeating the same message to you over and over and over... until He's finally got your attention?

Lately, it seems He's been sending a certain story my way... a story that has been mentioned in my church, in my bible study, in my daily devotional email.  

It's the story of Mary and Martha.

I have to admit that I am so convicted by this story because... well,

I am a Martha.

Many days, I am so consumed with managing my list of to-dos, worried about my homekeeping, and overwhelmed by the general busy-ness of life that I tend to miss out on the important things: my faith, my husband, my children.  And while I completely enjoy spending time working on projects and my home, sometimes I need to choose what is better.  I need to be a Mary.

With that said, my word for 2012 is not so much a what as a who:

Mary

This year, I strive to be more like Mary, ignoring the fact that the house is dirty and the dishes aren't done so I can choose what is better and focus on all I need.  My Lord, my man, and my sweet chicks.

Don't get me wrong.  Being a Martha is not a bad trait... it's what makes us good hosts, good homekeepers, and good managers of our families.  It's also what makes us so busy with being busy that we might miss out on some special moments because we are distracted, and worried, and upset.

But Mary... she didn't allow herself to be distracted when the Lord came to her home.  She knew what was important, and it wasn't being a good hostess.

So, this year, my goal is to be more like Mary, while balancing out the Martha aspects that innately are part of me.

How about you?  Are you a Mary or a Martha?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails