Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's Cookin' Wednesday, No.1 {Stacked Enchiladas}


Hi everyone!  This post is going up late tonight as I was having issues with uploading images to Blogger this morning... grr.  Anyhoo, I've decided to start a new weekly feature on home.made.:

 What's Cookin' Wednesday!

I'd been contemplating joining in on the whole WIWW series with Lindsey at The Pleated Poppy when I realized that (a) I "get dressed" every day since I work outside the home so it defeats the whole purpose and (b) there's only one full-length mirror in my house and it's a cheapo so it makes me look larger than life!  Soooo... I decided instead to focus on something else, like cooking for my family.  With busy schedules, it's easy for me to get in a rut with cooking, so my challenge to myself is to try out a new recipe each week and share it with you.  If you're interested in joining the challenge, let me know and I'd be happy to start up a linky party!

First up, Stacked Enchiladas!

Ingredients:
1 package corn tortillas (small)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 white onion, diced
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (with or without green chilies)
1 15 oz. can enchilada sauce (I like the mild red sauce)
shredded cheddar cheese
2 T cooking oil
salt and pepper

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat.  Add diced onions and saute until nearly transparent, then add ground beef and cook until brown.
  3. Drain meat/onion mixture, return to pan.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add salt and pepper to taste and add tomatoes.  Cover and simmer for five to seven minutes.
  4. In a 9x12 baking dish, coat the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.  Place two corn tortillas on top of the sauce, side by side.  Place large spoonful of meat mixture onto each tortilla, then cover each with a little enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.  Stack another enchilada on top of each stack (similar to lasagna) and repeat three more times.
  5. Place the final tortillas on top of each stack, top with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
  6. Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and serve alongside your favorite sides.  Refrigerate and/or freeze leftovers.
Makes: 8 servings (1/4 stacked enchilada=1 serving)

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rhonda!

    This is Desiree from The 36th Avenue...

    I just want to let you know that you are the winner of the Enjoy the Ride Bicycle Stencil!

    Congrats girl!

    Make sure you email me your shipping address so I can get it to you.

    Thank you so much for visiting and I can't wait to see what you make with it ;)

    Have an EXTRAordinary day... and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails