Friday, June 3, 2011

(Sewing for Me} The March Bag

Drum roll please...


As promised (long ago)... here is my completed March Bag, from Fourteen May.  As I've said before, I fell in love with this bag just the way that Melissa Mortenson made it, so I searched for the fabrics so I could replicate it.  If I do say so myself, it was a great decision. ;)

Although you would think this pattern was complicated with the curved pockets and the front pleats, it was actually a rather easy sewing project.  Melissa's instructions were superb, so it made construction of the bag simple.  Just like I like it (I can't stand when I have to spend more time interpreting the pattern than making the project, kwim?)  The only part of the bag that made me want to pull my hair out were these bad boys: the bamboo handles.


The ribbon holders are sewn into the band of the bag prior to putting the handles on, so this part was a bit of a challenge.  There is a screw holding the loop onto the handle, but it was impossible to remove, no matter how hard I tried.  Enter my husband, armed with pliers and a wrench.  Not kidding.  He pried the loops open, placed the handles on the ribbon, and then squeezed them back together.

I love him.


Here's a little side view of the seam - I love how the pockets go all the way to the edge - I can fit a ton of things in there!


And a little peek at the interior, with all of my things jammed in the pockets.  If you look closely, you'll see a matching wallet in there.  Yes, I could've made it - but I didn't.  I got it from Happy Kathy's etsy shop and I love it.  It just may be the perfect wallet.  Just sayin'. 

One thing that was a little tedious about the pattern... having to hand sew the band to the inner lining.  It's so hard when you're at that final part of a project, so close to enjoying the fruits of your labor... and having to hand sew through fabric, interfacing, and canvas was a booger.  (I had a bruise on my thumb, for reals.  *note to self* Must invest in a thimble.  Oh, and don't think I didn't try to cheat and machine sew it... let's just say that even a Denim needle on my Singer couldn't perform through all those layers.  Darnit.)


In the end, though, it was all worth it.  I have a gorgeous bag to grace my arm this summer.

Want to make your own March Bag?  Head over to Fourteen May!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails