Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chalk Paint Growth Chart

I’ve been wanting to make one of these growth charts for quite some time… on a paint run one day, I finally made my way to the lumber aisle and brought home a beautiful piece of pine to transform into this chalk paint growth chart.

growth chart copy

I toyed with the idea of staining the wood and painting a black or navy “ruler”, but instead decided to have the ruler measurements be stained wood and painted the ruler with Annie Sloan Old White.  I’m thrilled with the end result, and think it looks perfect on my newly painted living room wall…

growth chart closeup_edited-1

I love how the wood grain subtly peeks out from behind the paint, and I love that the board itself has natural nuances that, to me, make it all the more special.

growth chart 2 copy

I purposely kept the dark stain on the edges of the board for added dimension.

growth chart 1_edited-1

Now it’s time to start marking the memories as my girls grow… is it wrong that I’m starting this so late in the game?!  My oldest already lined herself up and is over four feet tall!

I will be posting a detailed tutorial for you soon ~ stick around!

 

Linking up with these lovely ladies:

Primitive and Proper

Jennifer Rizzo

Be Different Act Normal

Positively Splendid

Savvy Southern Style

Shabby Creek Cottage

5 comments:

  1. This turned out great! I've been wanting to make one too, just haven't gotten around to actually doing it. I really like the chalk paint on it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is awesome! Much better alternative to marking up the walls with a height chart like we had growing up! haha Love how you distressed it and let some of the stain be visible. BTW love your blog. Great projects and inspirations! Now following. Look forward to seeing more.

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job, Rhonda! I wish I would have made something like this when my kids were little. Thanks again for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb! Are the numbers rub ons, die cut or hand drawn with a stencil?
    If you hand drew them I am totally out of luck!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did u post your tutorial? Just curious what order you did the staining/painting. Thx!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails