Friday, July 2, 2010

Love Your Lunchbox!!

I finished Big Sis' new lunchbox this morning, and I adore it!!  Let me tell ya, if she doesn't want to use it to take her lunch to school, I have no shame using it for mine! 


The fabric is just so gorgeous and soooo my daughter - it truly makes this bag beautiful.



My dh kept watching me construct this bag, acting like it was the most difficult project ever, and I had to laugh... because it wasn't!  There are quite a few steps involved, but it really is an easy pattern to follow and an easy project to make.  If I didn't have to make things in stage (due to wanting  needing to get some sleep), I could've finished this in a day or two.


There are pockets on either side of the bag, just the right size for utensils or for a fruit roll-up, and dontcha love the contrast of the fabrics?  Moments like this make my heart go *pitter* *patter*.


And the glorious interior!  The pattern suggested oilcloth or cotton for the interior lining, and I opted for the cotton since I knew I'd be washing this bag frequently.  (I also didn't feel like switching out my sewing needle, but we won't mention that...)

A couple of things:  I didn't put in the bottle holder that was part of the pattern.  After cutting it and looking at its size, I didn't think it'd fit any of the cups or bottles we own, and at that point, I was too anxious to put the bag together that I didn't make a larger one.  No biggie.
If When I make this again (I can already guess that Lil Sis needs one too), I'll make a few more changes.  I'll probably add an interior pocket so I can insert a cold pack or smaller snacks.  If I add a bottle holder, I'll just make two fabric strips with velcro so it is adjustable for different size bottles/cups.  I'll also probably reduce the seam allowance, which is a generous 5/8 inch.  I hated cutting off so much of the seam, thinking that the bag could've been a teensy bit bigger otherwise!

Other than those, I wouldn't change a thing.

Now... is it lunchtime yet?!




2 comments:

  1. Lovely Lunch box!!!
    and you did such a great job.
    What pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the pattern link. i bought and waiting anxiously to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails